Big-N-Beasty – 8.5 / 2 Acre Bag
- Calculated at Checkout
8.5lb Bag - Plants 2 Acres
Big-N-Beasty Planting Tips
- Big-n-Beasty is typically planted late July to early August depending on your local. Needs approximately 45-60 day growing season. Best if planted just before a rain. (Hint: Have fields prepared and ready to go, and then watch the weather forecast.)
- BnB grows in most any soil given proper nutrients and moisture, but it prefers a well-drained but heavier loam or clay soil.
*Approximately one month before planting, condition the soil with a roto-tiller, disc, chisel plow or similar equipment to prepare a good seed bed. Next allow existing vegetation to grow back and then spray with Roundup one to two weeks before planting.
- When ready to plant, loosen up the seed bed surface with a drag or chain link fence to just loosen up the topsoil. Do not till too deep, tilling deep will only bring more weed seeds to the surface. *Spread fertilizer prior to dragging.
- Soil should be fertile with a pH of 6.5 to 7.5. If you are not sure of your soils fertility or pH, have your soil tested. Your local farm co-op or fertilizer dealer can usually help with this. Add lime as needed to improve pH.
*A good fertilizer recommendation is 300-400 lbs/acre of 19-19-19 followed by an application of 100lbs/acre of urea (46-0-0) after 4-6 weeks. If you see your plants turning purple and/or yellow it is lacking nutrients.
- Using a hand or shoulder seeder, broadcast 4 lbs. per acre. DO NOT OVERSEED. Can’t stress this enough!
* Set your seeder on one of the smallest settings. Walk fast and crank hard! Better to go back and overlap then run out of seed to soon.
- Important: Use a cultipacker, roller, or even your ATV tires to pack the field to insure good seed/soil contact. You do not need to worry about covering the seed. If the seed is planted too deep, it will not grow.
- DOWNLOADABLE VERSION
- Try broadcasting BnB into an existing field of soybeans in late July. Great way to add additional forage into a plot.
- If Round-up® is used prior to planting and under normal growing conditions, Big-n-Beasty grows fast enough that it should out-grow any weeds. If you do have a severe weed problem after germination, use a grass selective herbicide such as Select or Poast. This won’t help with broadleaf weeds but it will control grasses.
- If you have sandy soil or want to improve any field, try planting an inexpensive Spring annual such as annual rye grass or rye grain. Plow under this “green fertilizer” a few weeks before planting. This practice used by many crop farmers and will help condition your soil, gather nitrogen, control weeds and add organic material to your soil.
- If you are concerned about having additional forage in the Spring, mix in a small amount of clover seed when planting the Big-n-Beasty. (no more than 1-2 lbs/acre) This is not a recommended strategy for creating a good clover field, but it does provide some additional Spring forage for the deer until you till the field again.
These blends and individual seeds are guaranteed and meet all the requirements and specifications of the US Dept of Agriculture. Each package lists the percent breakdown of the seed varieties in each pack. Each package is attractive for the customer, and contains information such as site preparation, planting instructions, plot maintenance, fertilizing, mowing, etc.